Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mrs. Teacher

Today was my best friend Delia's first day to teach in a high school here in Kitale. I joined her in the classroom and it was so fun to see the kids welcome her and accept her as their new teacher for 2 months. Delia let me read roll (which I have always wanted to do) for her class and my bit turned into me butchering everyone of their names... without apologizing. I insisted that the way I said their name was the correct way, they were laughing so hard! It was very fun to watch Delia teach a class knowing how passionate she is about helping these children learn.

As of now I am living at a compound (a very safe compound grandma) with 7 girls and 2 boys and that has created a lot of awesome moments and great topics of conversation. Pastor Steve Rutenbar has joined us on the compound and being with him has also created a ton of laughs. It has been such a blessing to spend my day serving with all these people and then being able to come back to the house and enjoy each others company. We have all created a gymnastics goal for the summer, besides Steve, and just yesterday I accomplished mine! I did a one handed kartwheel and the best part is that Delia can't do it.

A great memory from this week was my visit to Sister Freda's hospital. I was walking through the hospital and I saw a woman sitting in her bed all alone so I decided to go and join her for a bit. I sat at the end of her bed and held her hands, she began to talk to me in Swahili and I just smiled and nodded along as if I knew what she was saying. She sang songs to me and then asked me to sing to her so I started singing 'Jesus Loves Me' and she caught on and began to sing it in Swahili. It was such and awesome moment that I got to share with this old malaria stricken woman.

Now I am on my way to go into Kipsango, which is the main slum of Kitale, and help Sister Freda with a medical clinic there. There is going to be some gnarly medical stuff that will probably gross the crap out of me. So pray for strength for me today as I go into dong something so ou tof my comfort zone.
We were told we would get internet in the house soon! Double crossies.
Love you all.

6 comments:

  1. Double crossies for sure
    I am so proud of your gymastics accomplishment. Only some of us elite gymnasts can do the one handed cartwheel. Maybe I will loan you my crushed velvet leo for your upcoming competition. You have earned it! You better be writing everything down because I want to hear about it ALL!
    Oh make sure to play "Taking Chances" for Chris-he loves that song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm at my first day of summer school... and tears are rolling down my cheek. I love you both so much and I am so prod of you. Del- that is amazing, I can't wait to hear all about you being a teacher, that is sucha gift from God. Tor- WoW! I can't wait to hear about your tingly toes :) Kisses xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading these Tor! Your posts make me cry because I'm so happy that God is using you and Del in such great ways. I also laughed though-especially at the bit story because I could just picture everything. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That story about the old woman is so awesome! I love it. I miss you and Del a lot, obviously more than my girlfriend does, and I cant wait to see you when you get home and lay my head on your belly so we can laugh together. Be safe, be love.

    and its weird that Rachel wants to "prod" you. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just going to assume i cry every time I read a post. Love you guys. I cant believe delia has become a mrs. teacher, mrs. teachers are so awesome. I can just see you in my mind conducting roll, and it is real good, real good. I am so proud of you, in fact three more times than I am of delia. One handed cartwheel, sitting with that woman, and going to a medical clinic in Kipsango. WOW TOR! I love you both, but you da man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [this is from dad] Hey Baby... thanks for the father's day call. bella and papa and bella marge came to Leucadia and we went out to dinner. i'm trying to show bella trisha how to leave a post, but it may be easier to cure global warming. Love the photos... they tell the story. love hearing about your stories too. we miss you greatly but are thrilled that you're where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete