Monday, June 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Lindsey!

I'm safe! I know my blogging abilities might have made you think otherwise, but I am here in Kenya after a long journey. On our way to Kitale we ended up getting stuck in Nairobi for two days. It was painful and we just wanted to get to Kitale, but doing missions is all about being flexible. I have had a busy week full meeting new people and getting to see some of the people that I love here.
The boy pictured above is Andrew Kakali and his story made a huge imact on my life when I was a junior in high school. I have been able to see him on my other trips to Kitale, but this time he had no idea that I was comming. I showed up at the place that he stays and surprised him, it has been one of my favorite moments so far. He could not stop smiling, hugging me, and telling me how much he has missed me. He also noticed that my hair has grown 'much much longer' he would say. I am so excited to be here for an extended amount of time so I can make other long lasting relationships like the one that I have made with him.
Yesterday I met a girl named Faith and she could not have been over the age of 10. She was very shy but all the wanted to do was sit in my lap and hold my hand. Then she came inside to the church service with me and kept glancing up to me and smiling. Soon she began to fall asleep as the church service got longer and longer. Tears streamed down my face as I thought about this young girl. I don't know her past or what she will amount to in the future but in that moment I was there to love on her the best way that I know how. I began to think that she might not ever fall asleep in someones lap again, or has she ever before this moment? God is working in my heart already and I know that he will continue to.
I hope to post some pictures soon, and I am so excited to share with you more stories as they come.
Love you all.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all, I am so happy for this update Torie! I miss you guys, you are in my prayers!

    second of all, why is it every time I post things online, I always have the 'post removed by author' luck (ie, Sameera and youtube). The internet has it out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tor!!!
    Yeah thinking about you crying made me cry.
    I love you so much, and I miss you and Delia like crazy.
    Back at home things have been going so well, and I can't wait to here all about all the amazing things God is doing there.
    Thanks so much for this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im going to the grocery store. miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell andrew I love him. So glad you got to surprise him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps. thanks for the title shout out! I iz 21!

    ReplyDelete