Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wonderful Week

Joseph is one of my favorite children here in Kenya. I love spending time with him and seeing him smile. He is an amazing and smart boy who loves God. He lives in a house with a couple other boys and he has told me that he knows that God has chosen him to be apart of that house.


Meet Hannah, Janet and Juliet. They are all around the age of 20 and they are from Rwanda. They have lived on the compound with us ever since I arrived here. Their stories touched my heart and I loved getting to know them for the time being. They were all Islamic until one year ago when they met Pastor Steve. He changed their lives forever. They dove into reading the Bible and comparing it to the Qu'ran. Hannah made the decision to follow Christ and set aside her old ways. The two other girls saw the change in Hannah's life and decided to do the same. They hardly speak English but every night we would sit down with them and teach them how to read and write in English. Just the other day Hannah found out that her sister in Rwanda is very sick. The decision was not hard for Hannah to make, she needed to go home and be with her sister for her time being. So the three Rwandan girls packed their bags and left the compound. So many tears were shed that day, me included. They are great girls with wonderful hearts for the Lord and people. It was so hard saying goodbye to them because no one knows when we will see them again.


Sister Freda has us all over to her house the other night for dinner and it was such a blast! When Del had malaria on our last trip here about two years ago this is the room that we stayed in together.


On Friday night we went over to some boys house and hung out and had dinner with them. They blasted Celine Dion and Michael Jackson (R.I.P) and we just danced the night away. It was such a fun night filled with laughs.


As our 4th of July party we had a ton of kids over for games, movies and dinner! It was such a long and tiring day but everyone gained up their energy knowing that the kids would remember this for years to come. We had a huge girls sleep-over that included painting nails! They could not have been more happy. As we were painting nails I asked some of the girls to tell their stories, little did I know what I had just opened up. The girls were so transparent and open about the hurts that they have gone through. What amazed me the most was that they have all experienced the power of God and they are not ashamed of where they have been because of what God is currently doing in their lives. We closed the night of conversations and nail painting in prayer and it became a night I will never forget.


I am teaching my first class tomorrow, 6th grade English and freshman English! Then Wednesday is my first day being with the prisoners and I am counting down the days until then. I'll keep you posted on all that goes on! Thank you for all of your prayers. Love you all.

5 comments:

  1. TORRR
    i miss you and i am stttiiieelllll praying for ju and del bell!

    4th of july was fun, went down to the beach and hung out with some drunk high school friends, passed out gospel tracts, and made the most horrible shish-ka-bob bbq with maddie!!

    hope the chimboozees are treating you well
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey baby... i'm thrilled that you asked people to share their stories. That's a great question to ask others because it leads to so many different ways to uncover more of their life. You understand ministry and are sensitive to God's leading and i couldn't be happier for what He's doing in your life. We miss you greatly and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think, "That would have made Torie laugh." I love you deeply!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love loved the pictures with the three girls. You can tell how much you all care for one another. Also, I DARE you to get Delia sick with malaria again. I don't know, I think I am only saying that cuz Im bored.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your story again, and I loved the part where you said that the people are so transparent about their hurts and past.
    That's something that is almost none existant here in America because we are all so worried about people judging us, or thinking differently of us.
    What a testimony to God's love and faithfulness in their lives.
    ps I deactivated my facebook. I don't know why. I'll prolly turn it back on soon. I'm just kinda CRACY like dat.
    Talk in a sweet teef voice to Delia for me, pwease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Torie: I just found your blog today. Love it. I had to laugh at the part where you said "On Friday night we went over to some boys house and hung out and had dinner with them. " That is not 'some boys house' (which sounds a little suspect...lol) . That is the Oasis of Hope/Boys' House #3! So glad you got to spend time with them. All of them - Joseph E., Wickie, John, Joseph O., Kamau, and Isaiah look awesome...and YOU look so beautiful and happy in all of your photos. Wish I were there with you.

    ReplyDelete