Thursday, July 23, 2009

Just A Handful

As my time in Kenya comes to an end in three weeks I cant help but think of the people that I am going to have to say goodbye to. I was not expecting it to be all that hard but now it is something that I am completely dreading. The people here have become apart of my daily life for the past two months and I cant imagine being so far away from them. When I return home I will be with people I love and that I have truly missed but pieces of my heart will be here in Kenya. I am so thankful for the relationships that have come of this trip and that each person has made an impact on my heart in a different way than the other. Here are some faces of people that I am excited to spend three more weeks with but going to miss dearly.


This is Attau. He lives on the streets and daily attends the school for street kids here called Oasis of Hope. He is one of the oldest boys there and is also around 6'4 and pretty intimidating at first. But he is just a kind and gentle boy who is trying to make the best of what he has.


These boys live together in the house of 43 kids that I posted about earlier. They are two of my favorite boys in the entirety of Kenya, Elias and Lamic.


Solomon and Augo are boys that attend a school called Purpose Driven Academy. Solomon is a refugee from Sudan and when he is not boarding at school he is living in a refugee camp. He is a sophmore in high school and he has such a drive to succeed. He is different than a lot of kids I have met here in a way that I cant quite explain. The other boy is Augustine who has stolen a HUGE piece of my heart. Two of the sweetest boys ever.


Of course Andrew. I have known him for a few years and he stole my heart long ago.


Oh gosh I am going to be such a wreck.

3 comments:

  1. We (mom, Kevin & Lindsey...and, me) are reading your blog and missing you greatly. Great photos! You are the prettiest girl in the world! love you,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang...I love those kids.

    I remember being in the same spot you're in...almost ready to leave, feeling the sadness of saying goodbye...sort of excited to come home to a washing machine.

    You will cry when you get home...over such silly things like "umbrella"...lucky for you, Delia will understand...

    I get it, too...call me anytime...to laugh or cry or talk about Cleophas.

    I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Torie - Whenever somebody tells me "I want to go to Africa" , I always reply "Well, you better be REALLY sure you want to go, because you will be forever changed." Kenya get into your heart and under your skin and you are never, ever the same. Being able to 'live' there for several months as you are doing now is an amazing gift from God and I know that you will use the experiences you are having now to become an advocate and a voice for the hurt, the lost and the needy in Kitale when you return home. Thank you for the love you are showing to the kids at Oasis of Hope (and please make sure that Steward doesn't try to marry Delia....LOL). You are an amazing young woman!

    ReplyDelete