Friday, July 17, 2009

While You Were Sleeping

I am so thankful for the girls that I am living with on the compound here. We have all bonded so well and have been able to share our experiences together. God clearly knew what He was doing when He planned for all of us girls to be here together for the summer. We have grown to love each other despite all of our differences and all the struggles of being together ALL the time. Two of the girls are leaving in a couple of days and that is going to be such a sad moment for me and everyone else here.


Every Saturday I get to take around 5 kids swimming and it is one of the highlights of my week! Majority of the kids have never been swimming before in their lives and they are so scared. Its great. The pool is always freezing and the kids are still so happy to be in it. We get them coke afterwards and they love it. This is Ian, we were freezing so we laid on the floor to get warm.


Where do I even begin with this boy. His name is Lamic and he lives in a 'home' with 43 other kids. I visit this house every Saturday and take 5 kids swimming each week. This week I got to take Lamic with me, he is one of the most gentle and kindhearted kids I have met here. I had a great talk with him about God and it was so encouraging and reaffirming to me of why I am here. Relationships. Not teaching and not working in a hospital but sitting down and talking with kids about the Lord. Its a hard thing to do here but when I was talking with Lamic he made it easy. He was such a blessing to me and I cant wait to get to talk with him even more. Love me some Lamic.


This is Augustine. This week I have fallen so in love with this little boy. He comes from a different circumstance than most kids here in Kenya. He was born in the womens ward of the Kitale Prison. His mom is currently still there but he has been fortunate enough to get placed in a great school in town. Despite the fact that we speak completely different languages and he has grown up in a world so opposite of mine, we share one thing in common, we love each other. Everyday when I walk through the gates of his school he comes running up to me with his arms spread so wide ready for me to pick him up and spin him around.


On our way to church on Sunday Delia's boda boda driver hit a cow and her foot got caught in the wheel of the bike. It took off a whole layer of her skin, I get so grossed out just typing this. As her best friend I had to be their to aid her, but I did not do such a good job. I felt like I was in more pain than her because it was so sickening to look at. Thank God there is someone living here who is gifted in medical crap because I can hardly take it. Delia is recovering and her foot is looking a lot better, so I hear.


About two weeks ago I found out that we are not able to go into the prison anymore. At first it was a total bummer but I have realized that even though I cant go and do ministry there I can still be in prayer for the work that God is going to be doing in the lives of those women. Keep them in your prayers.
This week I have started meeting up with a woman named Leila. She is a 23 year old Muslim who is searching God. She has been asking very challenging questions and is clearly searching for something to live for. I am meeting up with her around three times a week keep her and I in your prayers. Pray that God would be able to speak through me and show her the truth. I am simply an instrument for what He has in store for his life.

Thank you for reading this and caring about my journey and Kenya.

3 comments:

  1. TT, I am so proud of you! I love you and I love Kitale...and I love to see you pouring your heart and God's love on to these kids...

    Kiss them for me...especially Benja...and Martin...and Moses...and Chachi...and Johnstone...okay, just all of them!

    Love. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not surprised about Del's foot. That would happen to her.
    Tor you look stunning in these pictures, love is radiating out of your smile in every one of them.
    I love hearing about the ways God is stretching you in these one on one conversations, you are so good at listening and encouraging, and I can only imagine the life-long impact you are making on every person you come in contact with. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete